2008-10-02

Berlin, How I Love Thee

Well, Folks. It's been way too long since the last posting, but suffice it to say the last week has been a bit stressful.
Since arriving in Berlin I have found a place to stay. In fact, I moved in yesterday and I'm slowly getting everything set up the way I want it. Here are some pictures.




As you can see the room is still a bit messy, but I'm working on it. The plant, which I hate, is going to move to the other side of the room where I don't suspect I'll have to deal with it much. Ah, the joys of renting a room in someone else's apartment.

The red sofa/banquette was an amazing score on my way out for a run today! As I said I was going out for a run and there was this red couch in front of a house down the street. I checked it out on the way by, and just decided to wait a bit to haul it inside. When it was still there after I had dinner I knew it was mine to have. it will now serve as my couch. WooHoo, free couch. And YES, I carried it up the four flights of stairs myself.

Otherwise, I must confess, I've had little say on the blog since arriving, since much of my being in Berlin is like being at home for me. I never thought it would happen, but culture shock when arriving in Germany is a thing of the past. I'm fully acclimated to the culture, mostly. Humorously my biggest issue upon arrival was waiting at crosswalks. Having been in China where crosswalks were just road decorations, I had forgotten that every German works all day every day to set an example for the children. This means that you stand at the cross walk and wait. Even if you have a clear view down the street and can see that the nearest car is four miles away. That doesn't matter. You wait. Let me tell you, the first 48 hours were difficult for me.

Also difficult was the realization that western capitalism has fully arrived in East Berlin. I present to you Starbucks:
This is not just any Starbucks, mind you. This is a Starbucks in the base of the world-famous Berliner Fernsehturm, symbol of East Berlin, and the divided city. A taller symbol of communism I can't imagine, and now we have managed to put a Starbucks in the ground floor. I guess I can't complain too much. Wait! Yes. I can! This is a travesty.
And finally one other sighting I couldn't help but document. When I went to Ikea to get a few things I was needing (this was the first of what will probably be three trips.) I was amused by the sight from the parking lot.
You all know McDonald's. But do you know McFit? McFit is a chain of gyms in Germany. The Germans have, for many, many years, used the Mc in front of random words to infer that they are quick and/or cheap. McPaper and McFit are too great examples. McPaper is a cheap stationery store, where I buy all my office supplies when in Germany. McFit as I mentioned is a gym and they are known for good facilities at lower prices. I just can't stand that they are right next to each other. I mean, you could literally go through the McDrive (not very legible on the sign) and head straight to McFit for your work out. At least you would be negating something.

So, now the time of research is upon me. I can't express how comfortable it feels to finally have a place to live and call home. It may not be everything, but after a long summer of travel it's great to know I won't be going anywhere for awhile. I register at the university on Monday, maybe Tuesday depending on the paperwork I'm able to get finished before then. In the meantime we've got a German National Holiday (Day of German Unity) tomorrow so all shops will be closed. I can't do any shopping until Sunday, so tomorrow is a good day to do some of that reading I need to get done.

1 comment:

Dr. Pavement Pounder said...

I was actually going to tell you about McFit. When it gets cold and snowy in Berlin, it is the cheapest gym you will find in town with tons of treadmills... Hint hint hint. When I was there it was something like 16 euro a month. Can't beat it with a stick. But, yes, Berlin has become a little too American. Sigh.