2008-07-27

Beijing Diary Day 3

It's day 3 and I am still struggling a little bit with jet lag. I'm seriously thinking of following the same procedure for any future overseas trips. I got next to no sleep the night before, which had me exhausted on the plane. I slept most of the way to SFO and then the first 4 hours of the flight to Beijing, this had me almost on track as soon as I landed here. It wasn't difficult staying up late on Friday. Last night a quick nap before dinner and I was fine. I suspect I will need another nap tonight. We'll have to see. I was up at 4 a.m. today, but there was no helping that. The market next door opens at 6 so I was getting up soon anyway.

Today's itinerary included Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, Banhei Park, and the Pearl Market.


First, Tiannenmen Square, made famous in the 80's when this photo went around the world. It looks nothing like this desolate image anymore. It is now a crowded mire of tourists. At one end of the square is a city gate with a painting of Chairman Mao. On the other end is Mao's Tomb. Flanking the other two sides are massive neo-classical buildings that serve governmental purposes (purposes which I'm too lazy to look up right now.).

They are in the process as we speak of converting the square into something that will resemble a massive Rosebowl float. There are flowers everywhere and the arrangements are quite impressive.



After a few pictures I was off to the Forbidden City, which sits right behind the square. I walked through the first two gates, but balked at paying $10 to walk through an un-air conditioned museum. Instead I walked around the city, appropriately retaining its role as being Forbidden.


Front Gate to Forbidden City

Behind the city lies Banhei Park. Again, a massive park. I walked around in it without dawdling for over an hour. I'm sure I saw somewhere near 10% of it. It was gorgeous. All sorts of old pavilions, walkways, and a temple in the center. It appears to be quite the place for Beijing families to hang out on the weekend. There were very few caucasians there, which really could be said of the entire city. There are so few, in fact, that we all kind of stare at each other when we are near. This will change during the games, but for now it is quite interesting.


Cheesy tourist photo. I didn't think $5 was a bad deal until-once I was already dressed-she told me she would use my camera. Hosed.

The Pearl Market was very cool. Imagine a flea market where they sell pearls. It is indoors, but it's a chaotic indoors. Every booth is hawking trying to sell pearls. After a few minutes I had to pretend I didn't speak English in order to avoid the deluge. This also allowed me to do business with the vendor of my choosing. My pretense worked very well, except for the few times when I had to crack up the 10th Chinese girl asking me "Excuse me, sir. Do you want a Pearl Necklace?" It's juvenile, but the innuendo was cracking me up. I finally had decided that the pearls I was buying were going to be a pink hue and found some that I really liked.

I got a great deal on them, as confirmed by the Chinese woman that is working with us here for the family center. She was quite impressed with my bargaining skills. As was I, since it has never been my strong point, but I'm better at it when I know the culture is to overstate the price and that they expect you to haggle. Just not how I think business should be done, but it's my job now to work within the system. In the end I got a pearl necklace and earrings for about $20!!!!!

That's today so far. I might venture out to the gay bar tonight, which is, coincidentally, right across the street from my apartment. I swear to God that Clair finds the gay bar in the host city first. His second order of business is finding an appropriate location for the family center within walking distance of that. He's done well this time. Of the three, family center, gay bar, and apartments, the bar and the family center are furthest apart and would take about 5 minutes to walk from one to the other, while passing past the hotel. This could mean trouble.

Today's observations:

1) If you are caucasian everyone expects you speak English. Not always the case, but right more than not.

2) I think I'm going to need some sunshine soon or I just might go crazy. Rumor has it they will be seeding the clouds during the games so that it rains at night keeping it clear for the competition.

3) I've been told that in order to cut down on traffic during the games the government decided that the citizens of Beijing, taxis excepted, could only drive every other day. If your license plate is an even number you are allowed to drive on even numbered days, if it's odd, then you drive on odd days. As a result traffic is not so bad. I can't imagine the situation with twice as many cars on the road.

More soon.

No comments: