2008-07-13

To Get Things Started

Welcome to Vagabunt. During the past several years I have had several friends engage in exciting adventures both locally and overseas. When this happens it is often difficult to tell everyone what is going on. Mostly because you get tired of telling everyone the same story, no matter how exciting, over and over. These same friends have engaged in blogging as a way of letting everyone in on the excitement while only having to tell the story once.
Enter Vagabunt. Vagabunt is a word of my own creation. Fittingly it is a combination of the English word VAGAbond and the German word BUNT (meaning colorful). As a noun it would roughly be described as a colorful traveler, and if you know me well, I think you might agree. If you don't know me well, well then you are either eavesdropping on
my blog, or you are a newer friend. Either way, welcome and enjoy.

So, let's get started. The journey began, like all others, with a single step. A step out the door to my 1977 Volkswagen Convertible. On July 3, 2008, I got in the car and headed to Portland, OR. Portland was a mere 3-day layover on my way to Wisconsin where I will be "living" for the rest of this summer. I use scare quotes because "living" is perhaps an overly stated verb to use. I will be here for the next 2 weeks, then I will leave for China. When I return from China I will spend another 3 weeks in Wisconsin before embarking on a week trip to Berkeley, and finally a year in Berlin.

Back to Portland. I chose to go to Portland to visit my dear friend Amie who has lived there for a few years now. She's a sweetheart and a good soul, and just being in her chaotic presence was calming for me. It was the perfect beginning to a very long drive

I will write more with pictures coming soon.

No comments: