2008-08-17

I Just Touched a Gold Medal

Over the past week I have had many repeat customers. The Smiths, the Sherers, the VanderKaays, and the Whipples to name a few. The Whipples have come in almost daily with the whole family, Alfred III, Alfred IV, David and Sara. I learned that the athlete, Mary, was a rower and that today was her big race. I'm sure she's raced previously, but today was the medal race, and it was clear to most that she was going to come home with a medal. As dad put it yesterday, "I just want some hardware for that girl. That's all I want." Well, today dad's dream came true.

Just a few hours ago the Women's Eight won the gold. As I'm told there was never a doubt that they would win once the race had begun. The Whipples are here and just in a tizzy. There's a party going on downstairs for the bronze medal men's rowing and gold medal women's rowing. It's great. The beer is flowing and they are basking in their win.

In fact, when Alfred III brought Mary up to introduce her to me she showed me her medal and very meekly said, "I really like it." It was awesome. So amazing to see the medalist in their moment at the top of the world. It reminds of that day 20 years ago (well, 20 years ago Tuesday) when we won the World Championships. I didn't want to go to sleep, because I knew that tomorrow would never be the same as that moment. It was wonderful to share that moment with her. And...She let me touch it.

I'll update the blog tomorrow with a picture. Sorry, I don't have my cable with me today.

No comments: