2008-12-14

Crazy German File #1

The following posts are a series of notes I've been posting on Facebook, but I thought I would share them here for those of you that don't have access.

Yes, I'm living in Berlin. And, yes, German's are absolutely nuts sometimes. I'm sure they feel the same about us. Even if they don't here's one to add to the Crazy German File.

I woke up this morning and complained to my roommate that I hadn't slept well the night before. She asked if I had had the window open. I normally sleep with the window open, but I don't normally live in a climate where it snows, so last night the window was closed. Upon hearing that my window had been closed she mumbled something about "Sauerstoffmangel". Yes, folks, she diagnosed a lack of oxygen in my room. This room is 270 sq. ft. with 12 foot ceilings. EVEN IF I could seal this 100 year old room up and not allow more oxygen in, I could live in here for a week with no problem. Sauerstoffmangel?

I'm convinced there is something in the German mentality that equates any problem they have with deficiency. Hence the frequent diagnosis of: Kreislauf Probleme (Circulatory Problems), and my roommate's Eisenmangel (Iron Deficiency)--she might not have an iron deficiency if she ate meat once in awhile.

Add Sauerstoffmangel to your Crazy German File!!!

No comments: