2008-12-14

Crazy German File #3

They just keep coming. If it hasn't already become clear, my roommate is really really crazy. I don't mean to insinuate that all German's are crazy. Some are, some aren't just like back home. I found the crazy one.
So, before I can properly begin the story from this morning I must tell you a little something about Germany. It's a little something the Americans here like to call the "Shit Shelf". Imagine going #2 in your toilet, and instead of said deposit being dropped into water (thus damping the odor), the deposit is dropped onto a shelf. I don't know why there's a shelf instead of a nice water resevoir, but it is something I have to deal with.
Sparing all but the essential details, I'm sure you can understand how occasionally the deposit on the shelf might not smell very pleasant. Therefore, I have a box of matches next to the toilet so I can make things smell a little better in there before I leave. Normally I burn the match and then drop it into the toilet. A) It will biodegrade as part of the sanitary works process, B) dropping it in water ensures I will not start the house on fire.
Well, this morning I was asked if I could throw the matches into the garbage, because, "The pipes are very narrow, and we don't want to clog them." SERIOUSLY?!? A match clogging the toilet? I'm allowed to flush my deposits and my toilet paper (clearly of a larger mass than a matchstick), but she worries that a match will clog the toilet!
You've all burned matches before. By the time you burn it to where you need to drop it most of it has already disintegrated. I'm seriously dropping a piece of wood the size of a grain of wild rice into the toilet. I've decided that her request is too much for me. I will not be throwing the matches in the garbage. If she wants them in the garbage she can fish them out and throw them away herself. :-)

Stay tuned for the next entry in the Crazy German File. I'm sure it won't be long.

No comments: